By Odita Sunday
The Armed Forces of Nigeria recorded major operational successes across the country between August 14 and 20, 2026, rescuing and recovering 51 kidnapped victims, neutralising terrorists and other criminals, arresting suspects and disrupting arms trafficking and illegal oil refining networks.
The Director, Defence Media Operations, Major General Michael Onoja, disclosed this on Friday, in a press statement on ongoing military operations across the various theatres of operation.
Onoja said the successes were recorded as troops sustained operations against terrorism, kidnapping, oil theft, arms trafficking and other forms of criminality nationwide.
In the North East, he said troops of Operation HADIN KAI rescued three kidnapped victims during clearance operations in Gwamnare Forest, Ningi Local Government Area of Bauchi State, on August 14.

He added that five other victims escaped from their captors during the operation and were subsequently reunited with their families, while two victims were tragically killed by their captors before troops could intervene.
According to him, a follow-up engagement led to the neutralisation of one kidnapper, while one local security group member sustained a gunshot wound.
Onoja said troops also neutralised two terrorists during a two-pronged attack at Mandaraugirau in Biu Local Government Area of Borno State on August 15, recovering rifles, rocket-propelled grenade bombs and other war materiel.
He disclosed that troops rescued a 63-year-old Cameroonian national abducted along the Gwoza-Cameroon axis in Dikwa Local Government Area of Borno State on August 17, while an abandoned AK-47 rifle was recovered at Ngurusoye Village in the same area.
The Director said 47 family members of terrorists, comprising women and children, surrendered to troops at different locations in Borno State between August 16 and 20, while six terrorist fighters also surrendered in Kukawa Local Government Area.
He added that a suspect found with ammunition was arrested during a cordon-and-search operation around Bewac along the Al-Ansar University-Baga Road in Maiduguri.
In the North West, Onoja said troops of Operation FANSAN YAMMA recovered 28 abducted victims between August 17 and 19 across Bukkuyum Local Government Area of Zamfara State, Sabuwa and Kankara local government areas of Katsina State, and Isa Local Government Area of Sokoto State.
He said troops also neutralised two terrorists at Kurudu Village in Kankia Local Government Area of Katsina State and another two during clearance operations around Kaura Namoda and Birnin Magaji local government areas of Zamfara State.
The Defence spokesman disclosed that troops arrested a suspect conveying 180 units of Super Power Explosives along the Kaura-Zurmi Road in Zurmi Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
He said another suspect connected to the explosives supply chain was arrested in Gusau, while suspected collaborators of a notorious terrorist kingpin were also apprehended.
According to him, six additional informants linked to the abduction of an immigration officer’s family and staff and students of the Federal Polytechnic, Kaura Namoda were arrested, while a suspected terrorist informant was apprehended in Kano State for allegedly monitoring troop deployments and equipment.
In the North Central, Onoja said troops of Operation WHIRL STROKE compelled kidnappers to release 13 victims in Ofu and Dekina Local Government Areas of Kogi State.
The victims comprised two men, five women and six children who had been abducted along the Alloma-Ejule Road on August 11.
He said troops also neutralised a kidnap gang leader during an attack on Assakio community in Lafia Local Government Area of Nasarawa State and neutralised another terrorist at Kyado in Ukum Local Government Area of Benue State.
In Taraba State, the Director said troops arrested an arms courier at Bubuwa in Wukari Local Government Area while he was attempting to purchase ammunition from a previously apprehended gunrunner.
He added that troops recovered an AK-47 rifle and ammunition during a raid on a suspected hideout in Jalingo, while two suspected kidnappers were arrested in Logo Local Government Area of Benue State.
In Plateau State, troops of Operation ENDURING PEACE responded to gunfire at Rafin Bauna Village in Bassa Local Government Area, forcing unidentified gunmen to flee and rescuing a victim who had sustained a gunshot wound.
Onoja said troops subsequently recovered firearms, fabricated rifles, dane guns and ammunition during raids on residences of identified suspects following an attack on Mwar Community in Mangu Local Government Area.
In Kwara State, troops of Operation SAVANNAH SHIELD neutralised one terrorist and recovered an AK-47 rifle during an engagement at Alabe Idera in Ifelodun Local Government Area.
He said troops also rescued seven kidnap victims found wandering in the bush around Latandaji in Patigi Local Government Area.
In the South South, Onoja said troops of Operation DELTA SAFE arrested three suspected kidnappers at Igue/Ikao Community in Owan East Local Government Area of Edo State.
He said another suspect was arrested at the Onitsha-Asaba Head Bridge in Delta State, with troops recovering seven locally made pistols, ammunition and a camouflage vest.
The Director disclosed that troops operating under Operation DELTA SENTINEL also disrupted three illegal refining sites in the Egbema axis of Ogba-Egbema-Ndoni Local Government Area of Rivers State and recovered about 85,000 litres of products suspected to be illegally refined Automotive Gas Oil.
In the South East, Onoja said troops of Operation UDO KA discovered and safely disarmed multiple improvised explosive devices along the Odumeje-Eketutu-Udah axis in Orsu Local Government Area of Imo State.
He said troops also dismantled an illegal bunkering site in Ihie Community, Isiala Ngwa South Local Government Area of Abia State, arrested three suspects and recovered motorcycles, suspected stolen Automotive Gas Oil and a vehicle.
According to him, troops arrested two suspects linked to an earlier attack on troops in Imo State, recovered a pistol, ammunition and a radio during a fighting patrol to a suspected IPOB camp in Ihiala Local Government Area of Anambra State, and cleared 11 IEDs during an operation towards the Mother Valley area of Ihiala.
Onoja further disclosed that the Nigerian Navy commissioned a solar-powered water project for residents of Ward F2 in Surulere, Lagos State, as part of the Armed Forces’ civil-military cooperation programme.
He said the Chief of Defence Staff, General Olufemi Olatubosun Oluyede, commended troops across all theatres for their sacrifices and successes in rescuing abducted citizens, neutralising terrorists, dismantling criminal networks and protecting the nation’s critical assets.
The CDS, according to Onoja, sympathised with families of victims who lost their lives during the period and security personnel injured in the line of duty.
He also commended the collaboration between the Armed Forces, Nigeria Police Force, Department of State Services, local security groups and other stakeholders.
Onoja urged members of the public, traditional rulers and community leaders to continue providing timely and credible information to security agencies, assuring Nigerians that the Armed Forces would sustain the tempo of operations until peace, stability and security are fully restored across the country.
