By Odita Sunday
Troops of the Joint Task Force North West, Operation FANSAN YAMMA, have rescued 10 kidnap victims in separate operations across Sokoto, Kebbi and Zamfara States, as security forces intensify pressure on terrorist elements operating in the region.
The victims were rescued in operations conducted between August 18 and 19, 2026, according to a statement issued on Thursday by the Media Information Officer of the Joint Task Force, Lieutenant Colonel Aliyu Danja.
In Sokoto State, troops on patrol in Isa Local Government Area on August 19 encountered a terrorist ambush but swiftly repelled the attackers, forcing them to flee.
The encounter also resulted in the rescue of five civilians, who were later reunited with their families. Two motorcycles abandoned by the fleeing terrorists were recovered by the troops.
The Joint Task Force said the troops’ response demonstrated their readiness to confront terrorist attacks and protect civilians across the operational area.

In Kebbi State, three kidnapped victims were rescued on August 18 following an intelligence-led operation in Danko Wasagu Local Government Area.
According to the statement, troops launched the operation after receiving information that three people had been kidnapped. All three victims were successfully rescued, profiled and handed over to the appropriate local authorities.
A separate operation in Tsafe Local Government Area of Zamfara State also resulted in the rescue of two captives.
Troops were mobilised following reports of terrorist activity in the area, compelling the terrorists to flee and abandon the two victims.
The victims, however, sustained gunshot wounds during their captivity and were immediately evacuated to a medical facility for urgent treatment.
The military said efforts were ongoing to track and neutralise the fleeing terrorists.
Lieutenant Colonel Danja said the Theatre Command had commended the troops for their vigilance and swift response, while assuring residents that the military would sustain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area.

“The Theatre Command commends the troops for their vigilance and swift response and reassures residents of its determination to sustain pressure on terrorist elements across the Joint Operations Area,” he said.
The command also urged members of the public to provide timely and credible information to security forces to support ongoing operations and strengthen the protection of lives and property.
The latest operations underscore the continued reliance of the military on intelligence, rapid mobilisation and sustained patrols in its efforts to disrupt terrorist activities and rescue civilians held captive across the North-West.
